Tuesday, September 04, 2007

A Post for Mommies, in honor of Diane

My wife doesn't get weekends off. The life of caring for our children, loving them and instructing them, molding us into a family, doesn't take a break between Friday and Monday. The weekend simply means that I am more readily available to help and ease the load (unless I am preoccupied with moving furniture or re-routing plumbing, as I was this weekend). And I know that for her it is easy to see her work as menial, ordinary, and having little or nothing to do with "building the Kingdom." In her head she knows that's not true, but in the midst of day-to-day "clutter control" and diaper duty, the eternal gets a bit lost in the shuffle. That is why I am so thankful for a song on the new Caedmon's Call album (Overdressed), called Sacred. The lyrics are below, and I hope that it encourages moms (and dads) out there to remember and see the holy work before us each day as we care for our kids. Diane, if you're reading, thank you for the holy work you do each day with such grace and love, even when you feel like you've lost your patience too many times or just can't pour another glass of juice. God is using you in a great and wonderful way.

"Sacred" by Caedmon’s Call

This house is a good mess, it’s the proof of life
No way would I trade jobs, but it don’t pay overtime
I’ll get to the laundry I don’t know when
I’m saying a prayer tonight cause tomorrow it starts again

(chorus)
Could it be that everything is sacred
And all this time
Everything I’ve dreamed of has been right before my eyes

The children are sleeping, but they’re running through my mind
The sun makes them happy, and the music makes them unwind
My cup runneth over, I worry about the stain
Teach me to run to You like they run to me for every little thing

'Cause everything is sacred And all this time
Everything I’ve dreamed of has been right before my eyes

When I forget to drink from you I can feel the banks harden
Lord make me like a stream to feed the garden

Wake up little sleeper
The Lord God Almighty
Made your mama keeper
So rise and shine, rise and shine, rise and shine

Cause everything is sacred
And all this time
Everything I’ve dreamed of has been right before my eyes

3 comments:

Rachel said...

My cup runneth over, I worry about the stain
Teach me to run to You like they run to me for every little thing


that's so beautiful and so good to remember. thx for encouraging me as you encourage diane, marsh! spending days w/my boys i see the depth of my sin and the depth of God's goodness. i'm learning so much here but it's not w/out challenge for sure.

Running With Hope said...

Thank you, sweetheart for encouraging me and appreciating me (a mother/wife's deep desire!!!) You make my ministry (motherhood/wifehood)such a joy. As I'm writing this my 2 year old is pestering me for juice and milk and my baby is trying to type with me. But, oh, it's a sacred time.

I'm in love
with you-Diane

Elana said...

You two Benbows are so ridiculously cute! I think seeing you two raise your children last summer was my first, first hand experience watching parents raise their kids with SO much of Christ's love...since then when I think about having kids someday(of which will definitely NOT be happening anytime soon), I think of wanting to be a mom like Diane...no joke!....and on a more random note... whenever I drink juice I remember Diane pouring extra water in the sippy cup so the juice lasts longer and the kids never knew bthe difference! I wonder if my parents did that to me?! ha