Monday, February 18, 2008

Sowing to reap

Galatians 6:7Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. 8The one who sows to please his sinful nature, from that nature will reap destruction; the one who sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life.

Our pastor preached on this section of Scripture this week, and it really got me thinking about the principle of reaping and sowing. Usually this concept is talked about when someone messes up - "Well, you know, you reap what you sow." But it struck me that this principle can also be applied in a positive sense, that we can sow with a purpose to have godly fruit born in our lives and into the lives of those that we love. I can think intentionally about how I sow into the lives of my family, how I sow into my ministry, how I sow into friends. For example, I want to see Diane grow in confidence and security in who she is, and one thing I can do is to sow words into her life that remind her of how gifted and loved that she is.

As I prayed about this intentional sowing, the Lord reminded me of my tendency towards legalism and trying to make things happen on my own. The way to sow good things is to abide. Jesus said in John 15 that we must abide in Him in order to bear fruit, and in Galatians 5, we learn that the fruit that we bear is Spirit fruit. As I abide in Christ, I bear love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, and self-control, sowing those things into the lives of those I love and interact with. And so yes, I want to be intentional and strategic in my sowing, but only as I abide in Christ, asking Him to provide the seed.

No comments: