Thursday, June 11, 2009

A prescription for rest

This is from an email I sent to a friend who is frazzled, burning the candle on both ends, and not seeing any time or space to restore their soul. It's advice that I try to heed, too:

What do you mean you don't have time to rest? Remember our convo about what is restful for you? Resting is something you have to MAKE time for or you will be useless in your work (well, not useless, but you will not enjoy it but will simply survive it). Margin never creates itself - something in life always fills the empty spaces if we are not vigilant.
1) Go to bed 1/2 hour earlier - this takes discipline and focus.
2) Make time to spend with God, reading the Bible and praying.
3) Make time to do things that are fun for you.
4) Be aware of counterfeit rest - for me this looks like ,"If I lay on the couch and watch TV for a couple of hours, that will restore my soul. " "If I surf the web for electronics deals, that will restore my soul." "If I balance our online banking on mvelopes, that will restore my soul." Those things are fine in small doses, but listening to music, reading a book, being still and quiet actually restore my soul in significant ways.
5) Exercise - unplug from your day and move your body!
I find that if I do these things, life is more balanced. Love, marsh

No comments: