Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Overrun in a wonderful way

We have 35+ kids coming to tutoring on Tuesdays ("only" 21 on Mondays), and we have 10 college students who are working with them. If you do the math, that is not the ideal ratio for academic progress. Yet it has been such a joy to be back with the kids.

  • I get to work closely with my good friends John and Melissa (who help coordinate the chaos).
  • I get to hear college students like Andrew say, "This is the best part of my week - I look forward to it every Tuesday."
  • I get to play foosball with Kenny and Julio, and I think to myself, "I am getting paid to love on these kids and have fun with them."
  • I get to make up rap-puns with Devonta, a kid I have now known for three years (his first - Why couldn't G-Unit get on the bus? They didn't have 50-Cent. My best - Which rapper makes the best drinks? LL Kool Aid).
If you are a praying reader, please ask God to send us more tutors so that we can not only love these kids but better position them to succeed and achieve. Those who aren't helping yet don't know what they are missing.

No comments: