Thursday, April 20, 2006

Stuff-ed - Part Two

Simplicity is relative, I guess. Compared to some friends and family, Diane and I have very little. Compared to others, we have so much. But comparisons really aren’t the way to measure this, I don’t think. The Lord is concerned with the heart, and mine is way too affected by the love of “things.” I want the heart of our friend Chelsea who, in talking about moving onto the mission field, told Diane with excitement, “We only get to bring TWO BAGS EACH!” I want the heart of our friends Michael and Casey, who moved into a two-bedroom apartment with no TV(despite having 2 kids and another on the way), and downsized to one car in order to prepare for life on the mission field and to be able to be more generous with their resources.

I want the heart of the Macedonian churches, written about in 2 Corinthians 8:1-7 1 And now, brothers, we want you to know about the grace that God has given the Macedonian churches. 2 Out of the most severe trial, their overflowing joy and their extreme poverty welled up in rich generosity. 3 For I testify that they gave as much as they were able, and even beyond their ability. Entirely on their own, 4 they urgently pleaded with us for the privilege of sharing in this service to the saints. 5 And they did not do as we expected, but they gave themselves first to the Lord and then to us in keeping with God's will. 6 So we urged Titus, since he had earlier made a beginning, to bring also to completion this act of grace on your part. 7 But just as you excel in everything--in faith, in speech, in knowledge, in complete earnestness and in your love for us--see that you also excel in this grace of giving.

I want the heart of Paul who writes in Philippians 4:11-13, “11 I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13 I can do everything through him who gives me strength.”

I want the heart of Jesus.
2 Corinthians 8:9 For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, so that you through his poverty might become rich.

1 comment:

Sean Meade said...

i sincerely wish you the best in this pursuit, Marsh