Monday, May 29, 2006

SO the Bible tells me so

Every night I sing “Jesus Loves Me” to Psalter and Eliza before bed, and as I sang last night, I remembered a comment from one of my Systematic Theology classes. The gist of it is that the truth (or real-ness) of God’s character pre-exist our understanding of it or hearing about it. Jesus’ love for me was active and in existence before the foundations of the world. It is not something I jumpstart when I believe in Him. Thus when we sing, “Jesus loves me this I know, for the Bible tells me so,” it is implied that Jesus’ love for me was not real before it was written about in the Bible and actualized by my reading of it. But Jesus’ love for me is an unchanging fact, and the Bible merely clues me in on this reality. Gary Deddo suggested a more faithful way to sing this would be, “Jesus loves me, this I know, so the Bible tells me so.” The Bible is a means by which Jesus communicates His eternal love for us, and even if the Bible did not tell me so, that would not change or nullify His love.

No comments: